Pages

Monday, January 31, 2011

I am CISA (Qualified) now

I had appeared for CISA (Certified Information Systems Auditor) on 11th December, 2010 in Kuwait.

Because of the amount of efforts put in for this examination, I have been anxiously waiting for the results. When I saw the email from ISACA in my inbox.... all I can say is my heartbeats were quite higher than normal... Adrenaline was doing its job. When I saw "PASSED" in the message body... there was a quick change of emotions.... Really felt the switch happening...
Going from Fear, through a mix of emotions to a big smile on my face.... Alhamdulillah (All Praises are for Allah [Glorified be He]).

The exam was difficult and it tested my CISA skills to the extreme. Never prepared so hard for any exam till date... Really felt that Oracle Certifications are piece of cake in front CISA examination. Was tough.... You really need to think like an auditor. It was difficult for me to think from an "Asessing" point-of-view as I have been studying, thinking and doing things from "Doing" point-of-view. Even when I worked on IT Governance and Balance Scorecard in my present company ()using COBIT 4.0), it was from a "Doing" perspective. Only when I was with the IS Auditors, I would try to understand how they do their work.

From a DBA's standpoint, I can see a lot of my work that needs improvement using the knowledge acquired by CISA contents. Personally, I need to audit my own work now, so as to suggest myself in areas of improvement (as observations) or to raise an NCR (Non-Compliance Report) for myself. This should help me self-assess my work and be proactive with preventive actions.

For more information about ISACA and CISA (and also a variety of certifications) please hop into ISACA's website: https://www.isaca.org/Pages/default.aspx

For now, I look forward to certify my CISA soon.

Next in the queue should be CISSP, I think?

"Knowledge is Power"

9 comments:

  1. Dear Z.K ,

    I liked your article, impressing! can you tell me more about your decision to switch to auditing field from an Oracle background? i have pretty same issue and i am confused whether to switch or keep my oracle experience. I am waiting for your nice feedback on marwan.semsom@gmail.com

    Thank you in advance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marwan,

      It was pleasing to see your comments here. Well, I havent switched my field yet. I am still in Database Administration. Although, I have taken up multi-database experience for now. Oracle and Software AG's ADABAS Databases.

      I am just planning my Vertical Career Growth along with my current Horizontal Career Scaling. I aspire to be in Management Domain in the near future. Just building the right skills to be considered at that time; as an immediate switch from Sr. DBA to C's and D's positions is not likely.

      Anyways, if you need any more assistance on topics from CISA, etc.; do let me know. I will post them as separate blog posts, for all.

      Regards
      Z.K.

      Delete
    2. Hi Zaffer,

      Thanks for your reply. It is great to hear that you are growing your career as such, wish you all the best. It would be great to keep contact with you , on marwan.semsom@gmail.com and on marwan.semsom@live.com , hope to see you there.

      Regards.

      Delete
  2. Hi Z.K,

    I am looking to swith my field from a DBA to Auditor. Can you please provide me your experience on this like how different it was for you to crack the exam etc? I am a SQL DBA and have a work-ex of almost 5 yrs. Since you are also a DBA and have cleared CISA you can tell me in a better aspect. Hoping to hear soon from you. rahulsoni22@gmail.com

    -Rahul

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rahul,

    I haven't switched my field from DBA to IS Audit. I am still a DBA. Just adding C*** Certifications for recognition and possible vertical growth in the future.

    To prepare for CISA, you may need to purchase the Review Manual and the Review Question & Answers from ISACA. Know your content and practice the Q&A. I would suggest start atleast 3-4 months in advance, as being a DBA 24/7, it is challenging to think like an auditor.

    All the best for your CISA, and let us all know how CISA goes for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi zk

    it is good ot know that you have passed your cisa exam. I alos would like to write this exam.i AM ORACLE FINANCE CONSULTNAT, WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHETHER IT WILL BE USE FUL FOR ME

    WITH REGARDS
    CJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ciju.

      You might also benefit from the CISA Job Practice Areas
      Here is the link:
      http://www.isaca.org/Certification/CISA-Certified-Information-Systems-Auditor/Job-Practice-Areas/Pages/CISA-Job-Practice-Areas.aspx

      Delete
  5. Dear Z.K.

    I Just visited your page and I am planning to write CISA. I am working as Oracle APPS DBA past 10 Yrs..But Not involved in any Security IS Practices like COBIT or others directly. Will they consider my qualifications.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Karthikeyan

    Good to hear you would like to opt for CISA. I believe you should check out the Job Practice Areas (particularly Domain 3,4,5) for any activites you have done as an Apps DBA.

    Here is the link:
    http://www.isaca.org/Certification/CISA-Certified-Information-Systems-Auditor/Job-Practice-Areas/Pages/CISA-Job-Practice-Areas.aspx

    All the best

    ReplyDelete